At UW Medicine, we believe that healthcare is a fundamental human right and everyone should have the same access and opportunities for the best possible outcomes. This belief is very clearly tied to our mission to improve the health of the public. However, it’s important to acknowledge that institutional racism has created inequities in society — even within our own healthcare system — that result in health disparities. We are committed to transforming the way care is provided to eliminate these inequities. Healthcare equity isn’t owned by one department or leader – everyone shares responsibility. We can all take action in our own spheres of influence and in the work we control.
To reduce disparities in healthcare delivery by educating health professionals informed by principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice;
To be a national model for healthcare equity; and
To provide local and national leadership in healthcare equity and healthcare justice research.
Treat everyone with respect and compassion
Embrace and model equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice
Practice and promote honest and transparent communication
Facilitate collaboration and teamwork across disciplines, specialties, and communities
Engage in, promote and disseminate data-driven healthcare and justice innovation
- Approach this work through a UW Medicine system lens.
- Develop structures and processes to support healthcare equity and justice across the system.
- Engage, partner and collaborate with all UW Medicine entities, health sciences, and UW schools as appropriate.
- Operate with explicit definitions of equity, racism, bias, diversity, and cultural humility.
- Acknowledge that patient safety, staff satisfaction, and health outcomes are crucially linked with equity, diversity and inclusion, and justice practices.
- Ensure equity, diversity and inclusion principles inform all system-wide quality improvement processes and practices.
- Identify where we have fallen short and commit with accountability to improving healthcare equity at all levels of the organization.
- Develop and sustain a foundation of trust across our communities by listening and learning about those we serve. Solicit ongoing feedback and consistently report back.
- Advocate for and facilitate initiatives to build and support a workforce reflective of communities we serve.